Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Favorite Film Series........Mr. Angleberger/Riddleberger

(Tom's pictured removed by request. I would replace his image with that of Felix the Cat, but alas I am tottally exhausted)

Hmmm....yes, I know my alter-ego is checking the results of the Democratic primary in the online editions of the Philadelphia newspapers but I wanted to get another top ten list posted since this blog is going on hiatus for a few days starting tomorrow _(sincere apologies to our loyal readers, but I will be back even though stamp collecting is far less time-consuming!).

Tom Angleberger, whose pen name is Sam Riddleberger, is one of the few friends I made in the newspaper business along with Jonathan the photographer (who I ran into at the Turkish Fest in Raleigh) being the other. This is partly because it is easier to be make pals in the mafia simply because mobsters are more likely (than reporters or editors) to look you in the face before they shoot you!

Tom/Sam wrote the children's book "The Qwickpick Adventure Society," which I had considered buying for my inmates (I briefly taught English at a prison in NC), before realizing that would be a very bad idea. Though I'm told Sam's book is quite a good read.

I met Tom while I was at a newspaper in Christiansburg, Va, in 1996. Tom wisely defected to "The Roanoke Times" and we both ended up covering the same town council meetings and even though the editors would chew me if there was a fact in Tom's story that wasn't in mine we are the best of friends.

His wife Cece Bell is also a noted children's book author.

Here is Tom/Sam's Top Ten Favorite Films List:

1. "Star Wars"

Hmmm.....I forgot to get an image of Darth Vader, so we'll go with the next best thing.

2. Casablanca

3. Babe

4. African Queen

5. The In-Laws (1979 version which was directed by Arthur Hiller of "Love Story" fame. The remake with Michael Douglas is an inferior film)

6. The Empire Strikes Back

7. Return of the Jedi

8. Strictly Ballroom (1992 film directed by Baz Luhrmann)

9. Six Degrees of Separation (1993 Fred Schepsi film based on the play by John Guare)

10. Lord of the Rings

Useful Links:

http://www.samriddleberger.com

http://riddleberger.wordpress.com

http://www.cecebell.com

 

http://www.philly.com

(So you can see how Barack and Hillary fared!)

 

 

No comments: