Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Congrats to College Basketball Champs: Kansas and Tennessee

On Monday night, the Kansas University Jayhawks defeated the Memphis Tigers to capture their first NCAA men's basketball title since Danny Manning lead the school over Oklahoma in 1988 (the year I was a senior in high school).

Over the weekend, the Jayhawks beat the University of North Carolina Tarheels. As I told my friend Christopher Knight earlier today, when I saw that the 'Heels were down by a whopping 28 points in the first half I was thinking: "Wow! I would sooner expect to see Uma Thurman necade in my bed!"

The University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers won their eighth NCAA women's basketball title, which will allow coach Pat Summitt (pictured) to add yet another trophy to the case in Knoxville, Tenn. But, they beat an outstanding Stanford Cardinal team to win the title, and one expects that program will have another shot very soon.

Of course, the story of the NCAA tournament season has to be the Davidson Wildcats in men's basketball. They were one shot away from knocking off the top-seeded and eventual national champion Jayhawks in the Elite 8, which would have set a game with UNC that would have undoubtedly been one of the most watched college basketball games in North Carolina.

Congratulations to the Jayhawks and the Lady Volunteers.

I am not sure which group of fans will hate Kansas more next year_ Virginia Tech Hokies football fans or UNC Tarheels basketball fans. The Jayhawks stunned the Hokies in the Orange Bowl at the outset of the year. I'm pretty sure many folks in Blacksburg, Va., and Chapel Hill, NC, will not want to be driving through Lawrence, Kansas, anytime soon! 

Useful Links:

http://www.planetblacksburg.com

 

No comments: