Thursday, November 13, 2014
Last Ten CDs We've Listened To.....before the last ten cds we've listened to......Debuts from Talking Heads, The Cars and Blur
Since the cds we mention here include a recording by Turkish instrumentalist Mercan Dede called "Su," the Turkish word for water, we have an image of the Manavgat Waterfalls near Antalya, Turkey.
Also, our good friend Bruce Piephoff from Greensboro, NC, ha a catchy song about another Tar Heel town called "I Remember Asheville" on his record "Sogni d'Oro," so we have an image of the Biltmore House, which is located in Asheville, NC.
Lastly, indy folk singer Michelle Shocked had a song about Anchorage, Alaska, simply called "Anchorage" on of her early albums which is among the last ten before the last ten.......
Here is the list:
1) Bruce Piephoff. Sogni d'Oro. 2007. Folk
2) Mercan Dede. Su/Water. 2004. World.
3) Billy Bragg. Tooth and Nail. 2013. Folk
4) Michelle Shocked. Short, Sharp, Shocked. 1988. Indy/folk
5) Talking Heads. Talking Heads:77. 1977 (Featuring "Psycho Killer," band's first record)
6) Psychedlic Furs. Mirror Mirror. 1984.
7) Simple Minds. Street Fighting Years. 1989.
8) Blue. Leisure. 1991 (band's first record)
9) The Cars.The Cars. 1978. (band's first record)
10) The Replacements. Let It Be. 1984.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
This is the last installment in our look at when just re-elected Republican members of Congress will turn 103; the joke is that these will also be the years when their seats are competitive again, because Republicans have drawn up perfect politic maps to suit their interests across the nation.
It should be pointed out that Cong. Morgan Griffith (R-Va., pict. top) is a man I respect and admire despite personal political differences. It should also be pointed that I think Cong. Mark Sanford (R-SC, pict, bottom) is a scoundrel and a hypocrite for having an affair on his wife with a woman from Argentina while he was governor of South Carolina. Amazingly enough, voters in that state sent him up to Washington, DC.
There were also some good Democrats who won last Tuesday, including Cong. David Price (D-NC) and Cong. Jared Polis (D-Colo).
Here are the years when these ten members of Congress will turn 103:
1. Cong. Morgan Griffith (R-Va) 2061
2. Cong. Mark Meadows (R-NC, pict center) 2062
3. Cong. Mark Sanford (R-SC) 2063
4. Cong. Steve Womack (R-Ark) 2060
5. Cong. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) 2081
6. Cong. Kevin Brady (R-Tex) 2058
7. Cong. Lee Terry (R-Neb) 2065
8. Cong. Scott Garrett (R-NJ) 2062
9. Cong. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) 2055
10. Cong. Tom Petri (R-Wisc.) 2043
www.foxnews.com/politics/ (Folks we disagree with)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-uygur/ (Link to columns from my fellow liberal Turkish-American Cenk Uygur)
http://www.nocturnalguy38.blogspot.com (for more GOP members and when they turn 103)
Monday, November 10, 2014
Here are 10 members of Congress (the House of Representatives) the year they will turn 103....oh, btw, all of them are Republican, which probably means they aren't well-versed in The Urban Dictionary:
1) Cong. Scott Rigell (R-Va, pict. top) 2063
2) Cong. Walter Jones (R-NC, pict. center, man responsible for term 'freedom fries') 2046
3) Cong. Billy Long (R-Mo) 2058
4) Cong. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) 2067
5) Cong. Ander Crenshaw (R-Fla) 2047
6) Cong. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) Deputy Majority Whip. 2052.
7) Cong. Rob Bishop (R-Utah) 2054
8) Cng. Tom Price (R-Ga) 2057
9) Cong. Bradley Byrne (R-Ala) 2058
10) Cong. Trent Franks (R-Az, pict. bottom) 2060
http://www.nocturnalguy38.blogspot.com (for more GOP reps and the years they turn 103)
Sunday, November 9, 2014
Meet Your DC Republican Congressional Rep (1 of 3)............and, guess when they will turn 103...........
We must admit that each time we make fun of House of Representatives members, we feel a slight bit of guilt as we know they are working long, hard hours, but then I recall when Cong. Joe Wilson (R-SC, pictured bottom) called Pres. Barack Obama a liar during a State of the Union address, and we realize, what we do is perfectly ok!
Since Republicans have perfectly gerrymandered their seats in Congress to, in some cases, ensure their people will be in Congress for an extended period of time, we thought we'd late you know when your Republican Congressional member is turning 103; so here we go:
1) Cong. Robert Hurt (R-Va, pict. top) 2072
2) Cong. Renee Elmers (R-NC, pict center) 2067
3) Cong. Joe Wilson (R-SC, pict bottom) 2050
4) Cong. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.) 2051
5) Cong. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) 2071
6) Cong. Stephen Fincher (R-Tenn.) 2076
7) Cong. Ted Poe (R-Tex.) 2051
8) Cong. Andy Barr (R-Ky) 2076
9) Cong. Joe Heck (R-Nev.) 2064
10) Cong. Gregg Harper (R-Ms.) (also) 2064 (yes, he spells his name with two g's!)
http://www.redstate.com/ (yeah, we don't agree with them)
http://www.nationalreview.com/ (we don't agree with them, either)
http://www.bluestatedigital.com/ (we do agree with them)
http://www.liberaloasis.com/ (we might agree with them too)
http://www.nocturnalguy38.blogspt.com (for more GOP Congressional members who turn 103)
Friday, November 7, 2014
The images above are of: 1) Freddy Krueger from 'The Nightmare on Elm Street' film series, he is now a Republican congressman from Alabama, 2) Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks, who will soon be starring in a reality tv show about narcissists. The film "The Fifth Estate" is about him and 3) well, it's just a human skeleton (we are using it for the movie "The Skeleton Twins," which stars Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig).
1) "Mean Streets." 1973. dir: Martin Scorsese
2) "Nightmare on Elm Street." 1984. dir: Wes Craven
3) "Yeelen." Mali. 1987. dir: Souelymane Cisse
4) "Rush." 2013. dir: Ron Howard.
5) "The Fifth Estate." 2013. dir: Bill Condon.
6) "Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One" (documentary/experimental film). 1968. dir: William Greaves (alas the director died this year)
7) "Don's Party." Australia (in English). 1976. dir: Bruce Beresford.
8) "Labor Day" 2013. dir: Jason Reitman (with Kate Winslet)
9) "The Skeleton Twins."2014 dir: Craig Johnson.
10) "Frank." Ireland (in English) 2014. dir: Lenny Abrahamson