Monday, April 21, 2008

10 Favorite Films Series....Bruce Piephoff

We start of our 10 Favorite Films (or Plays) Series with Greensboro, NC, folk singer/poet Bruce Piephoff who was kind enough to share his top ten favorite film list with me.

I sent an email to many of my friends asking what their favorite films or plays were. Bruce was the first to respond. I got this idea when I heard that a North Carolina author asked writers around the world (ranging from Norman Mailer to Stephen King) what their favorite books were, and he actually published all those lists in a book of his own.

Bruce's favorite films are (He did not number his selections, so I think these are in no particular order):

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (dir. Milos Forman, 1975)

 

"Taxi Driver" (dir. Martin Scorsese, 1975)

"The Grapes of Wrath" (dir. John Ford, 1940)

"La Strada" (dir. Frederico Fellini, 1954)

"The Godfather" (dir. F. Ford Coppolla, 1972)

"Chinatown" (dir. Roman Polanski, 1974)

"Frances*" (dir. Graeme Clifford, 1982)

*-(This is a film about singer Frances Farmer. It starred Jessica Lange, and this is said to be one of her best roles.)

"Apocalypse Now!" (dir. F. Ford Coppolla, 1979)

"The Deer Hunter" (dir. Michael Cimino, 1978)

"Raging Bull" (dir. Martin Scorses, 1980).

Bruce also listed "On the Waterfront," "The Big Lebowski" and "Sideways" among his favorites.

Useful Links:

http://www.brucepiephoff.com

http://www.myspace.com/brucepiephoff

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always loved THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and ELMER GANTRY and SOMEWHERE IN TIME. There are so many good ones. I certainly agree about ONE FLEW OVER as well.  My idea of a great movie is that it creates something different within you that you didn't have when you walked into the theater. I'm interested in films that open up a truth to me, make me ponder and most of all stay in my mind for years. Come to think of it, MARY POPPINS did that too!
Judy