Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Who Knew Communism Was So Much Fun?

I must profess one of the main reasons I love Youtube is that in addition to nostalgia, it graves my addiction to kitsch. I may be one of the very few heterosexual males who partakes in something that is perhaps better-suited for John Waters.

And, I hope the Baltimore filmmaking legend would agree with me that few things in life could possibly be kitschier than a Bulgarian pop medley recorded during a New Year's Eve program circa 1985. Where did they get that disco ball?

It's a good thing Youtube wasn't around when Ronald Reagan was president. If we knew people in a communist country were having this much fun, we may have wanted to actually end the cold war sooner, and then we wouldn't have had "Red Dawn!"

Useful Links:

http://www.dreamlandnews.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you tube is like my sole source of entertainment at times.  you tube freakin rocks!


i find it amusing that istanbul has a starbucks. that shows my ignorance of the world.  i think myself, and many other americans operate under the false premise that capitalism is only alive and well here in the good ol ewe essssss of a, and that peeps in the rest of the world drink gov't selected coffee served in zarfs complete with slogans like 'grow more food' or 'it's okay to have a daughter'


visit the rant anytime for a slightly sarcastic side of life. rated r because i have a horrible potty mouth.

ps here is my fave you tube of the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1VcgRrEM8


this just proves my point that the only thing capitalism really does for a country is give its citizens waaaay too much idle time to do the devil's work.