Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Invasion USA"- Bad Movie Posters- Entry 6 of 6

Believe it or not, I actually watched "Invasion USA," a 1985 Chuck Norris film, on dvd a few weeks ago.

The intention was to show it along with Michael Moore's "Canadian Bacon" as a doubleheader consisting of two polarizing political films from the opposite sides of the spectrum.

Alas, only my friend Gary showed up and he only stayed for about a half-hour.

Nevertheless, I went ahead and watched this film which would assuredly give Anne Coulter an erection (I know she has a lobster underneath that dress!)

It is really bad, really paranoid and really dated. Though in post-September 11th America, the film will be probably have more followers than it would have otherwise. And, there is also the fact that Chuck Norris has made a cultural comeback without even appearing on television except in a Mike Huckabee campaign ad (or an infommercial for Bowflex).

KGB agents somehow invade America through the Florida Keys, where Norris happens to live alone (I think he has a dog). The Reds then go on to try to blow up a school bus, take a female reporter hostage (she is the symbol for a weak liberal in the film) at gunpoint and they also attempt to bomb a church with lots of old people who sing hymns while coming close to destroying Atlanta in the process (Wait, how do they get from the Florida Keys to Atlanta, so quickly?).

I won't 'spoil' the ending, but it's a keeper. Nevertheless, I have to agree with Leonard Maltin who called the film: "Repellent in the extreme."

My friend Jason Garnett, who is manager of the Grandin Theatre in Roanoke, Va., actually has a copy of "Invasion USA" on film, and if Chuck wants it, he'll have to take it away from him........well, I better not say that.

NOTE: I just noticed that apparently others can not see the Norris poster image on this blog......ERR!!!!!!...........I'll try to fix this if/when I have time.

Useful Links:

http://www.chucknorris.com

http://www.michaelmoore.com

http://www.grandintheatre.com

 

No comments: