Sunday, June 8, 2008

Odd Jobs (Entry 2 of 6) Minor League Baseball Mascots

 

Since today is Father's Day, and one of my fondest memories was taking my late stepfather Donald Sullivan out to a minor league baseball game in Salem, Va., where the Salem Avalanche play, some ten years ago, I thought I would use this opportunity to post an entry about minor league baseball team mascots.

This is a relative low-paying job in which you get to wear a hot suit and worry about little boys kicking you in the groin, but you get a lot of attention. Fortunately, when I worked for the Salem Avalanche a few years back, I was not asked to be Mugsy, the team mascot (which is a dog with a baseball cap).

Alas, I didn't see a good image of Mugsy to post here.

But, I did find some images of (in order) mascots for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in Appleton, Wisc. (that is indeed a mascot that is a snake!), The Hickory Crawdads out of Hickory, NC, The Mrytle Beach Pelicans from Myrtle Beach, SC, and lastly this guy who looks like Gumby for the Altoona Curve in Altoona, Pa.

I've heard the temperature in Lynchburg, Va., where the Lynchburg Hillcats play was 97 degrees today. I can't imagine what these guys (and gals) must be going through!

(Note to other bloggers: I don't know how many of you have tried to get four pictures in one entry, but this created problems for me. I also considered using an image of the Winston-Salem Warthogs mascot which was posted on an earlier entry, but I think I'll go with what I have here!)

Useful Links:

http://www.salemavalanche.com

http://www.myrtlepeachpelicans.com

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com

 

No comments: