Sunday, June 8, 2008

Quote of the Week: Robin Williams

 As many regular readers of this blog (all eight of you) know, I have many problems sleeping mainly because I'm a restless person who thinks about all the world's problems, whether it be the War in Iraq or the situation in the Darfur region of Sudan.

I know this problem gets even worse after I see a play like "The Diary of Anne Frank," or a film like "The Bridge," which is a documentary about people who've committed suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco (don't watch it, if you're taking Lexapro!).

I even have irrational thoughts like my concern that I will one day, somehow become another P.J. O'Rourke (a former "Rolling Stone" writer who went from the far left to the far right politically) because I am now more politically moderate than I was when I was in college even though I agree with Barack Obama 79 percent of the time (according to glassbooth.org).

So, sure enough last night, I was thinking about what I would be watching on tv from my hospital bed at Moses Cone (local hospital in Greensboro, NC) if I were dying of leukemia_ (another irrational concern of mine). And, for some reason, I imagined myself watching a rerun of "Mork and Mindy" on Nick at Nite. Perhaps, it was because I saw a dvd set of it at a record store in Charlotteville, Va., on Saturday afternoon (No Mork doll included!). 

 I suppose if I were dying I would really choose "Mork" over an interview of Sen. James Webb (D-Va.), someone I truly admire, on "Face the Nation."

And, this leads me to this week's quote.

It is from Robin Williams, who played Mork (the show ran from 1979 to some point during Ronald Reagan's first or second term), and given the topic of this blog, it seems quite appropriate:

"Politics: 'Poli' a Latin word meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'blood-sucking creatures."

No comments: