Tuesday, June 3, 2008

For 'President Cheney'- John Denver's "Country Roads"

For my friends in Bursa, Turkey, who may not be aware of why I'm posting this. Yesterday, 'Vice' President Dick Cheney made an incest joke about West Virginia when talking about the surprising genelogical links between him and Barack Obama.

There is a part of me that wants to be forgiving to the man who will be played by Richard Dreyfuss in the Oliver Stone film "W" (see earlier entry) since those of us from Roanoke, Va., have made many West Virginia jokes ourselves.

But, Dick Cheney is not my favorite person in DC, and this is an election year. On top of that, West Virginia is a swing state that Bush-Cheney carried in both 2000 and 2004. So, I dedicate this song for Cheney and I hope he can make future blunders in the coming weeks and months ahead.

For what it's worth, Cheney apologized. But, who cares?!

Trivia about the song: According to local folks in the area, "Country Roads" was actually penned in Mount Jackson, Va. The song does allude to the Shenandoah River in that area.

Useful Links:

http://www.jondenver.com

No comments: