Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To Congratulate the Germans (sniff, sniff) Nena's "99 Luft Baloons"

I guess everyone in Munich and Bursa (but few people in Greensboro) knows the result of today's EuroCup 2008 soccer match between Germany and Turkey, which was played in Switzerland.

Alas, in the 90th minute of play Germany scored to win the game 3-2.

But, to show that we are not sore losers (well, I can't speak for other Turkish-Americans), I am posting German pop star Nena's highly political 1983  pop song about the need for nuclear disarmament. I gather it is a personal favorite of Nancy Reagan's (that is a joke).

The Turkish team made a great run to get to the semi-finals though and it helped my friend Bahadir Acuner who roots for Fenerbahce (I root for their rival GalataSaray) bond as we are not used to pulling for the same team.

Perhaps, we can pull it off in Euro 2012...........insallah (that's the Turkish word for hopefully).

Note: This is the original German version of the song. I looked for German beer-drinking songs on Youtube, but few seemed available.

UPDATE: I just saw that there is a NEWer version of this song on Youtube. It came out in 2002. Nena still looks great as she struts barefoot down a sandy beach, but the remake is a disappointment. And, there is no reference to 'Captain Kirk,' but for the sake of nostalgia, you might want to check it out if you like........I'm too lazy to post it here!

I also found out that Nena is now 48, and the mother of four. She released an album of Rolling Stones and David Bowie covers last year. And, interestingly enough, she is still politically active as she helped form a free form alternative school in her native Hamburg. Her own kids take classes there. Nena said she felt there was a need for a more inspiring educational system than the one she grew up with.

Useful Links:

http://freeweb.com/nenafan99

No comments: