Monday, June 23, 2008

Odd Careers (Entry 5 of 6)_ Militant Political Activists

 I suppose if one really wants to ask which direction America is going politically one should ask folks who dress like blue whales or grim reapers complete with plastic baby fetuses.

I think since I lean more to the center-left than center-right (my apologies to George Will) I am inclined to think the 'men in black' are a little bit scarier.

But, I must credit the anti-whaling crusaders for this entry. A few weeks ago when I was taking care of business at the Turkish embassy in Washington, DC, I saw two guys dressed like whales protesting outside the Japanese embasssy across the street. No one seemed to be paying any attention to them.

There is also an ad for Greenpeace in the current Sunday edition of "The Washington Post." They are actually looking to pay people!:

"Activism_Greenpeace. Stop Global Warming! $12-13/hour plus bonus and benefits. (202) 595-3368."

(I hope I'm allowed to post their phone number. I know may someone out there might REALLY need a job).

But, not to be out-done, I drove through Boones Mill, Va., today, an area represented by one of the most arch-conservative members of Congress, Virgil Goode who amazingly enough used to be a Democrat! I have been vocal about Goode due to extreme anti-Islamic remarks which he has made on a consistent basis. 

(We will be formally endorsing his opponent who happens to be a Facebook friend of mine here shortly.)

There are not one, but two pro-life billboards within five miles of each other around Boones Mill, as if a passerby could somehow miss the first one!

It would be cool if there was someone out there involved with both of these movements. In fact, if there is (Michael Moore, if you are reading this), someone should make a documentary film about them!

Oh, I had promised no entries today. I suppose it's a good thing that us amateur bloggers can do what we want without consequences.........ok, mom, I'll fold the laundry!

Useful Links:

http://www.greenpeace.org

http://www.michaelmoore.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com

 

No comments: