Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Turkish-American in Istanbul

Contrary to the header, this entry is NOT about me.

Through a random search for more information on the case of Sabri Bogday, a Turkish barber from Hatay, Turkey, who was residing in Saudi Arabia. Bogday had the misfortune of being accused of cursing to God by an Egyptian neighbor.

For this, he was SENTENCED to DEATH. And, in Saudi Arabia, the form of execution is beheading.

I first heard of the case two months ago, and I decided there was no time to be complacent.

It was thus through this mutual concern that I came across a blog from a Turkish-American in Seattle named Jeremy Orhan Simer, who also happens to be a progressive activist, and he had an extensive entry about the Bogday matter.

We are both looking to see if Bogday has indeed been spared. There is a rumor to that effect, but alas it can not be confirmed.

As it turns out, Simer is now in Istanbul and he has traveled throughout Turkey this summer.

I will be taking my own trip to Turkey later this month.

So, with this in mind, I am posting the pop music duet from Turkish singer Mustafa Sandal and his Greek girlfriend Natalia (this would have been unthinkable 25-30 years ago due to political tensions between the two bordering nations). The song is entitled "Hatirla Beni/Remember Me."

 I must profess that I am 'cok kiskanc*' of Sandal, for indeed, Natalia is quite attractive!

*- Turkish term meaning 'very jealous'

Useful Links:

http://jeremyos.blogspot.com (Jeremy's blog)

http://www.turkishdailynews.com

 

No comments: