Friday, June 20, 2008

Correction: Turkey Beats Croatia

I am still in shock! I guess this one goes under: "Dewey Beats Truman." I was watching the EuroCup soccer game from Vienna, Austria, between Turkey and Croatia on ESPN at my mom's house here in Roanoke, Va.
After 119 minutes of scoreless action, Croatia scored what appeared to be the winning goal, and I promptly turned off the tv in disgust. My American mother got mad at me for shouting curse words: "It's just a soccer game, son. The world doesn't depend on it."
We then went to an Italian restaurant. I was still in a bit of a mood, but I tried to make the most of it.
Little did I realize that Turkey had scored a goal in the 120th minute to send the game into penalty kicks. And, Turkey then beat Croatia 3-1.
I got a message on my cellphone from a Turkish friend back in Greensboro, which I checked around 10:30 p.m., some four hours after the end of the game. It said: "Attila. We won the game on penalty kicks."
I was actually perplexed earlier in the night when I read a Facebook message from a Turkish friend which sounded joyful: "This is the way history will be written." Now that message makes sense.
I could not believe any of this! In fact, there is an 'UPDATE" on an earlier blog entry which is now wrong. I am not going to take it down.
In fact, I just now saw an article about the game in the online version of "The L.A. Times." I am still in shock.
There are even concerns that Bosnian Muslims, who typically root for Turkey, might start rioting in the city of Mostar, Bosnia, against their Croatian neighbors!
Turkey will now face Germany in the semifinals. This marks the third consecutive game that Turkey has won in the final minutes.
About the Photo: This is the Turkish alcoholic beverage of raki, which my stomach actually can't take, but it is drunk during good times and celebrations.
This certainly seems to qualify as one of those occasions!

No comments: