Sunday, June 1, 2008

Posters of Bad Movies_ "Jekyll and Hyde...Together Again"

I wasn't going to put another blog entry today, but Gizmo (my cat) has been fed and as it turns out this awful movie is coming out on DVD tomorrow. I must give credit to my friend Moviezzz for this tip even though I can't find his link. Gizmo must have knocked it over.

I believe I saw this 1982 movie on cable because I liked Robert Louis Stevenson's story, and more importantly, I was perhaps the only teenage boy in Roanoke, Va., who had a crush on Bess Armstrong. I did see her later film "High Road to China" which also starred Tom Selleck at the late Terrace Theatre in Roanoke.

The Jekyll and Hyde film also stars Mark Blankfield who according to Leonard Maltin exagerrated one of his characters from the "Fridays" series, which also launched the career of the guy who played Kramer on "Seinfeld," for this part.

Like Maltin, I would agree the film (which he gave 1.5 stars) is harpooned by Cheech and Chong drug humor of the early '80s which may have been responsible for Ronald Reagan's high approval ratings (if only he had gotten that Oscar nomination for 'Bedtime for Bonzo,' so we wouldn't have had to put up with him).

Personal Recommendation: If you're feeling nostalgic and you can't decided between  this or Dan Aykroyd's "Doctor Detroit," well you should choose neither but that is the slightly better of the two films.

Note: This series was not meant to be consecutive, it just worked out that way. I'm wondering what else Gizmo knocked over.

**********

No comments: