Sunday, December 2, 2007

World Tour of Museums in Three and a Half Miuntes

I realize that the reader of this entry is perhaps pressed for time, or procrastinating from research on data from a chimp mind experiment being conducted in their lab.

So, I am offering a quick tour of three European museums. I have visited two of them. My sister Lale Lovell has been to all three!

The first one is the Istanbul UFO Museum in the historic Beyoglu district of town. I think aside from a museum of toilets in India this might be the strangest museum in the world. It has many sighting reports and photograph exhibits.

The museum, which was founded by Haktan Akdogan's UFO Space Sciences Research Center in 2002, is definitely geared towards the believer. Though it does not take itself too seriously. My sister and I saw a man dressed like an alien promoting the museum on the famed Istikal Boulevard in Beyoglu. I think there were women with head scarves walking around him. We just had to go!

On a much more serious note, The Anne Frank House in Amsterdam is a place which brings the horrors of World War II and The Holocaust up close and personal. The museum is currently showing an interactive exhibit called Free2Choose which is dedicated to human rights and democracy.

Lastly, my sister and her husband Matt Lovell ventured to The Sherlock Holmes Museum in London on their honeymoon. I have never seen the place myself, but my brother-in-law who has a great fondness for the detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle took a liking to the museum, which is located at 221 B Baker Street.

The Sherlock Holmes Museum's web site has a pretty cool quiz. I did not fare too well, but I did guess that Doctor Watson's first name was John!

The Museum Links:

http://www.siriusinfo.org (great UFO photos!)

http://www.annefrank.org

http://www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/


No comments: