Saturday, December 1, 2007

My Friend Christopher Knight is Running for Congress

It is official. Christopher Knight of Reidsville, NC, will attempt to do what former Winston-
Salem city councilman Vernon Robinson (aka the black Jesse Helms) tried to do and unseat incumbent Cong. Brad Miller (D-NC).

I feel in the ever-the-awkward disposition as I think Cong. Miller does an excellent job. I am oh-so-thankful that I am not in the district of avowed racist Cong. Virgil Goode (R-Va), just over the border. Last year, the Rocky Mount, Va., congressman said he would do everything in his power to prevent all Muslims from entering the country. As the son of a Turkish immigrant, I was sickened and disgusted by his comments- for which he never apologized for.

But, Miller is a different story entirely. Beyond partisan loyalty, I support Miller because he opposed a measure from the Armenian lobby that would have caused diplomatic tensions between Washington, DC, and the Turkish government in Ankara. The bill was pushed by House Speaker Cong. Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca)., who I am extremely disappointed by for this as well as her inability to stand up to Bush.

Knight's perspective run is interesting for a variety of reasons. He definitely has a "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" ideal that the common man should be able to run for Congress, and he correctly points out that this is not entirely possible any more.

Knight first ran for Rockingham County School Board, and he became well-known in the Triad (Greensboro area) for his school board ad which was a satire of "Star Wars." Knight dressed up as a Jedi knight back in July to protest the same school board's dress code violation. Knight did not win a seat, but Ron Price- who did win the seat- made local headlines for ironically stealing Brad Miller campaign signs.

Another unique aspect of Knight's efforts is the fact that he will be running as a Republican. Knight likes many of President George W. Bush's policies as much as I do, and I am one who feels that 13 of the 16 current presidential candidates would be effective from the Rose Garden- and that includes fringe candidate Cong. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio)!

Knight has openly expressed opposition to the War in Iraq, The Patriot Act and No Child Left Behind, among other things.

He made his 'official announcement' on his blog on Nov. 23:

"I am not entirely happy with what I'm going to have to do in order for this to be a legitimate thing," Knight wrote, citing that he will have to put together an exploratory committee just to be able to run for office.

I wish Knight the best. Perhaps, I can hold a house party for both him and Cong. Miller on the same weekend!

Useful Links:

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com

No comments: