Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Picture of Me (From the '70s!)

From Attila F. "Tilly" Gokbudak: I am the young boy with the Mickey Mouse belt and the white t-shirt. This photograph was taken in either 1977 or 1978. My mother is the American woman with the long hair. I think the baby might be my sister. The man standing beside my mother is not my late father Mehmet Gokbudak, but rather his good friend Nevres Bey. The photograph was taken in Kara Deniz Eregli (Black Sea Eregli), Turkey_ a factory town where we lived from 1977 to 1979. My father was assigned there in conjunction with the General Electric plant in Salem, Va.
There is an amazing story on how this picture, which is not in our collection, was obtained. In was sent to me by Reyhan Turkmen, an attractive woman from Istanbul, Turkey. As it turns out, Reyhan and I went to the same elementary school in Eregli circa 1978. She somehow knew who I was, and she found me through Facebook!
I was either seven or eight years old when this photograph was taken. It certainly brings back some long-forgotten memories.
My mother, Lila Sullivan, is now in Istanbul with a group of her close friends. They also intend to visit the tourist sites of Ephesus, Pamukkale and Cappadocia.
I noticed that I was not particularly fashion-coordinated back then!

 


  1 Attached Images

No comments: