Saturday, December 1, 2007

My top 10 Favorite Woody Allen Films

This weekend, well actually technically yesterday (Dec. 1), one of America's greatest filmmakers- Woody Allen celebrated his 72nd birthday. I have been a huge fan of Allen's work since I was very young. I think I watched a certain movie with a long title some 8 or 9 times during my teen years.

Allen's work was greatly influenced by the recently deceased Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman, who is the subject of an excellent article in the current issue of "Film Comment."

To celebrate Woody Allen's birthday, I have compiled a list of my 10 personal favorite Woody Allen films. Alas, "Radio Days" did not make the list!

I'm sure my friends Moviezzz (who is a real person!) and Bilge Ebiri will disagree. I am presuming Ebiri might say "Zelig?" I somehow recall him saying he loved the film, but I think we had that conversation some ten years ago.

Here they are:

1. "Manhattan" (1979)

2. "Bananas" (1971)

3. "Annie Hall" (1977)

4. "Zelig" (1983)

5. "Interiors" (1978)

6. "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, But Were Afraid to Ask" (1972)_ this is the film I saw 8 or 9 times as a teen.

7. "Hannah and Her Sisters" (1986)

8. "Match Point" (2005)

9. "Purple Rose of Cairo" (1984)

10. "Sleeper" (1973).

http://www.woodyallen.com


No comments: