Saturday, December 29, 2007

Classic Quotes from Paul Newman

I am back home in North Carolina, and amazingly enough it is raining here! We've been in a crisis drought for several months now. But, even though rain has become as scarce as snow in Arizona, I still don't feel like going out when it rains.

Hence, I am devouting this Saturday night to my blog. I asked my friend and fellow blogger Moviezzz about which person I should quote from tonight.

Earlier this month, I decided to use some quotes from movie stars that were listed in "The Film Year Book 1984." My first serious movie book that I got when I was 13 years old.

Several of those stars like George Burns, Dudley Moore and Sir Alec Guinness are no longer with us.

But, Paul Newman sure as heck is. Most of these quotes were from Newman when "The Verdict," directed by Sidney Lumet, was in theatres. At the time, he was still not an Oscar-winner. He got that long overdue award for "Color of Money" a few years later.

Here are some quotes from Newman from that book, which might be available somewhere from amazon:

"I stopped signing autographs when I was standing at a urinal at Sardi's and a guy came up with a pen and paper. I wondered, do I wash first and then shake hands?"

On Lumet: "I'm gonna start calling him Speedy Gonzales. He's the only guy who could double-park in front of a whorehouse. He's that fast."

"I wasn't driven to acting by an inner compulsion. I was running away from the sporting goods business."

On the 1977 film "Slapshot" about minor league hockey: "Ever since Slapshot, I've been swearing more. You get a  hangover from a character like that, and you simply don't get rid of it. I knew I had a problem when I turned to my daughter and said, 'Please pass the EXPLETIVE salt.' "

For movie news and commentary check out Moviezzz's blog:

http://www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

 

No comments: