Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hanukkah Rocks! (Alas, I'm Not Jewish)

A Dolly Parton concert in Minneapolis.

A holiday musical by The Plan-B Theatre in Salt Lake City.

A Nejla Yatkin dance performance in New York.

A Les Blank documentary film in San Francisco.

An opera based on a comic book character in Portland, Ore.

A theatrical play about racism and capital punishment in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

A one-man show about torture of Arab terrorism suspects performed in Boston.

 

These are just some of the things I've promoted on this blog which I could not have possibly attended due to geography.

In keeping with that tradition, I am posting an entry today about a Hannukah rock concert_ I kid you not_ at The Birchmere Theatre in Alexandria, Va., just outside Washington, DC- which is some five and half hours away (Note: Mapquest dos not seem to add traffic time!) from the fictional town where I reside in North Carolina.

According to the Dec. 8 edition of "The Washington Post" the show was the idea of New York singers Rob Tannenbaum and David Fagin.

The show will consist of songs which make light of being Jewish, such as "Shiskas are for Practice." The price of admission is $19.50 and the shows are on Dec. 21 and 22 at 7:30 p.m.

The Birchmere is located on 3701 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, Va.

Phone: (202) 397-7328.

Last year, I posted an entry about a klesner band (klesner is a form of Jewish music) called The Sinai Mountain Ramblers. They are based in Greensboro, NC, and they performed at a community Jewish festival this year. Even though it was not in Hilo, Hawaii or North Pole, Ak., I was unable to attend it. Perhaps, next year, when it occurs again, I'll be in one of those places and regret missing out a great time in The Gate City!

Userful links:

Well, we have none this time, but I suppose I should give the link to "The Washington Post" to avoid any frivilous lawsuits:

http://www.washingtonpost.com

PS_ The music I'm actually listening to is the '80s pop-rock band Night Ranger. I did not wan to admit that publicly!

No comments: