Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dolly Parton....Mitt Romney's Running Mate?

For those half-dozen of you who come to this blog on a semi-regular basis, you may be wondering if there is any grand plan here. I think I will answer that concern by leap-frogging from sheep sacrifices to Dolly Parton.

As I was looking for some great quotes for my Facebook page, I decided to look at "The Film Yearbook 1984," which I got from the recently-closed Waldenbooks store at Tanglewood Mall in Roanoke, Va., back during the Christmas of 1983. (The mall_ for those of you not residing in The Star City_is still open. In fact, it still has a K & W Cafeteria).

The book has a tremendous number of funny quotes from the likes of Paul Newman, Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and the pride of Seierville, Tenn.

In her quote, Dolly Parton expressed her misgivings about a film whose subject matter was seemingly disclosed in its title_ "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas."

Here is what she said, which is why I think she would be a perfect running mate for Republican candidate Mitt Romney, who carries on the Massachussetts political tradition of flip-flopping:

"It kind of embarrased me. I wouldn't recommend people take their kids to see it. I wouldn't say it's great family fun. I am upset about it. It was a big surprise," Parton said.

Parton has since moved on to other things, including building a lavish amusement park in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. She was also in this year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. And, as it turns out, she is soon embarking on a worldwide tour.

It begins on Feb. 28 at The Northup Auditorium in Minneapolis. And, for those of who wondering when and how you can see them, here are some other dates. She will be at The Opera House in Boston on March 5- one day after my 38th birthday!

Then, on March 7, she will be at Radio City Music Hall in New York_perhaps the mayor Michael Bloomberg will be there! She will be in the vicinity of the nation's capital when she performs at The Patriot Center in Farifax, Va., on March 11.

And, her last North American tour date (for the moment), will be at the historic Fox Theatre in Atlanta on March 12. Perhaps, she will sing "9 to 5." I did not get info on ticket prices, but I'm guessing they are cheaper than seats for Hannah Montana.

Those of you who are passionate Parton fans can visit her web site, which you probably already knew about:

http://www.dolly_online.com

While there, you can choose which one of Parton's bluegrass albums is your favorite. I'd vote for her 1999 release "The Grass is Blue," but I'm not sure if I've heard any tracks from it. Maybe, I have.

Alas, I did not get a chance to make a joke about the prominent feature which made Parton popular on the pinball circuit, nor did I talk about how we took a family trip out West which included a stop in Dollywood back in 1986.

But, I've got to call a friend to see if she might want to go Christmas shopping at Barnes and Noble. Oh.... I almost forgot! I gather that from time to time people living outside the USA actually visit this blog. So, if you live in Malmo, Sweden, you should rejoice because Parton is coming to your town too! Alas, she did manage to snub Roanoke and Greensboro. But, we can always hope that she'll come this way in 2009_ and bring lots of toys to the children of Whoville.

No comments: