Friday, December 28, 2007

My Top 10 Films of the Year (First Draft)

My mind will assuredly change many, many times. Especially as I actually get to see some of the best films of the year, like "There Will be Blood," "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" and a certain Brad Pitt western with a very long title.

Nevertheless, even my friends who are not devout movie buffs always seem at least somewhat interested by  my choices for the best films of the year.  So, I've decided to go ahead and say what they are as 12/28/07. 
Many good films I have seen and liked a lot did not make the list. These include "Lars and the Real Girl," "The Zodiac," "Hot Fuzz" and the poignant Iranian film "Offsides." Many films that other people liked more than me also did not make the list. This would include "The Kite Runner," which I saw last week in Greensboro. Despite some great visuals and good acting, I personally consider it to be a slight disappointment.
And, many films I saw this year were not even close. This includes "Balls of Fury," which I thought of as one of the most dreadful films of 2007.
But, here are the best ten.............I imagine I will get some emails for this one:

1. "The Darjeeling Limited"_ I am still amazed that "People" magazine gave this film which I consider to be Wes Anderson's masterpiece one star!
2."Into the Wild"_ Sean Penn proves to everyone that he is as talented behind the camera as he is in front of it with this magnificent gem.
3."The Namesake"_ A wonderful, heart-felt film from Mira Nair.
4."I'm Not There"_ Todd Haynes put together an exceptional film about the many sides of Bob Dylan with this amazing independent film.
5."Eastern Promises"_ David Cronenberg stays in form after "A History of Violence."
6. "The Black Book" (Holland)_ I usually have more foreign films on the list, but it is still early. This one which was brilliant at every level, makes it for sure. A great comeback for Paul Verhoeven, whom I have always admired. I even like "Showgirls!"
7."The Wind That Shakes the Barley"_ This film from Ken Loach stayed  with me for a long, long time. Though it takes place in Ireland, it is a story about ethnic conflict which deeply resembles issues taking place in the Middle East.
8. "No Country for Old Men"_Many critics think this Coen Brothers film is the best movie of the year. I was a bit off-put by the ending, or else this would rank higher. Javier Bardem should win an Oscar for his lead role as a cold-blooded killer witha fetish for flipping quarters.
9. "Zoo"_ The most controversial film of the year is also one of the best. The film is about .........gosh, it's still hard to put it in print!*
10. "American Gangster"_ Kudos to  Ridley Scott for this genre film.

I have to respect my friend Moviezzz for holding off on his top ten list. Like me, he does not live in a major market. Obviously, unless one is a film critic in New York, Boston or Los Angeles, they are at a disadvantage. There is also not enough time to reflect on a film. My opinion of "A History of Violence" went up after I saw it. Conversely, my high regard for "Little Miss Sunshine," which I still consider to be a great film, declined somewhat after seeing it last summer.
My opinion as to what is the best film of the year has changed from December of each respective year.
Last year, "Borat" was listed as my favorite film of the year for quite some time but after finally getting a chance to see "Little Children," I decided it was my favorite film of 2006.
But, for right now, these are my favorite films of the year.............

*-The film is about a man and his horse, but it is not exactly "The Black Stallion."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What?  There Will Be Blood isn't on your list?  It is going to be on many folks lists, I suspect, including mine...