Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

A few months ago my friend Christopher Knight, of Reidsville, NC, posted a heart-warming entry on his blog about his mother's birthday.

At the time, I thought I could never try something like that on my own blog because it seemed too personal.

But, like Mitt Romney, I've changed my mind!

It seems all of us have some inclination to praise our parents when everything is going well, and conversely blame them when things aren't quite clicking.

I'm not sure either is really justifiable as we are who we are, and at the end of the day- unless you are President George W. Bush, you really can't feel that your parent is directly responsible for your successes or setbacks.

But, where they do make the major difference_from my vantage point_ seems to be in supporting you when you need it most. Just yesterday, I was in a painful disposition since one of my classes required exit exams which students had to pass in order to pass my class.

One of my students was very distraught when I imformed him of his grade. As a former teacher herself, my mother advised me on which course of action to take. I followed her advice as closely as I could. And, I hope it somehow makes a differene not just for me but for the student who did not pass the exam- though, in my view, he most assuredly deserved to.

Life can indeed be a profoundling isolating experience. The people we elect for office, even the ones who we actually voted for who won, (with some notable exceptions) have been known to let us down either politically or morally.

Conversely, our friends might not come through when we need them most.

But, my mother has consistently always been there for me.

I thus wish my mother Lila Sullivan, who turns *# tomorrow, a happy birthday, and I hope she has many more to come.

When she was growing up in Rock Hill, SC, my mother would often get underwear on her birthday because it was too close to Christmas. Assuredly, my sister Lale and myself do not make that mistake!

My friend Bruce Piephoff, a Greensboro folk singer, has a great song called "Mama" that was one of his recordings a few years ago. He has a new CD coming out in February.

Useful Links:

http://www.brucepiephoff.com

No comments: