Thursday, December 20, 2007

Congressman's Christmas Gifts to Their Wives

Fellow Turkish-American and political progressive Cenk Uygur (yes, there are two of us!), who hosts a radio show with Air America, is a blogger for The Hufington Post. The conventional thinking would be that because of this The Hufington Post would be my favorite political blog, but I actually read Mary Ann Akers' The Sleuth much more often_ blame it on time restraints (I have to look for odd jobs on CraigsList-I'm sure Cenk understands!).

With that in mind, Akers latest column revealed what some members of the U.S. Congress have brought their spouses for the holidays.

Due to time restraints here and a paranoid fear that Akers may sue me for millions of dollars for copyright infrigement, I will only mention two of the congressman she talked about in this entry.

According to Akers, who bears a striking resemblance to actress/writer-on-strike Tina Fey ("30 Rock"), House Appropriations Chairman Cong. David Obey (D-Wis.) got his wife something my mother always gets me:

"My wife hates to shop (editorial comment: WHAT???!!) so I buy clothes for her_ then she'll take half of them back because she thinks it costs too much."

Retiring Cong. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.) opted to sneak in wife's jewelry box and take several of her official spouse label pins and American flag pins and make them into a bracelet.(Note to self: Insert Nixon joke here at a later time.......)

On a personal note, I sent Christmas cards to two members of The Hill_ Cong. Frank Wolf (R-VA) and the representative of my district _Cong. Brad Miller (D-NC).

I truly appreciate both of them.

Even though I am a Democrat, I had a chance to become close to Cong. Wolf while I was a reporter in the Shenandoah Valley town of Woodstock, Va. He has been passionate about the problems afflicting Africa, and he has made several dangerous journeys to places like The Sudan many times_ even before the genocide in Darfur began.

 As a Turkish-American, I am especially grateful to Miller for voting against an Armenian-American lobby measure that would have caused needless tensions between Washington, D.C., and Ankara without resolving a century-old dispute.

Now that Cong. Tom Tancredo (R-Col.) has left the presidential race, there are only three U.S. Congressional reps in the race: Cong. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), Cong. Duncan Hunter (R-Cal.) and the man whose campaign unleashed a blimp over Raleigh, NC, this week_ Cong. Ron Paul (R-Tx.).

Akers also has a great entry about Condi Rice's secretive shopping spree in Chevy Chase, MD, that came right before she headed over to the Middle East to resolve a clash between fans of GalataSaray and Fenerbahce (forgive the Turkish in-joke! They are Istanbul soccer teams). Apparently, Rice purchased a lavish gift for Laura Bush.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

Useful Links:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth

 

No comments: