Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ultra-abriged Novels_ "Naked Lunch" (entry 2 of 6)

I imagine only high school teachers in places like Provincetown, Mass. (supposedly the most liberal community in America) would be allowed to have students read William S. Burroughs' "Naked Lunch." It talks about drugs and sex in graphic, vivid detail. I must profess that the first time I read it, I wondered if one needed to be on heroin to understand it.

But, after rereading it, I feel like it is indeed an exceptional novel, and it is now one of my personal favorites.

"Naked Lunch" was filmed by David Cronenberg even though Gus Van Sant (director of "My Own Private Idaho") was closer friends with Burroughs who died just a few years ago. Burroughs even acted in Van Sant's film "Drugstore Cowboy."

For those who might be wondering, I decided to start a series where I include the first and last sentence from six novels, which are some of my personal favorites. The first one was "Wild at Heart" by Barry Gifford.

In all honesty, I am wondering if this is a bad idea, but well since it's getting close to 2:30 a.m., I suppose there is no point worrying about it!

Here is the first sentence from "Naked Lunch:"

"I can feel the heat closing in, feel them out out there making their movies, setting up their devil doll stool pigeons, crooning over my spoon and dropper I throw away at Washington Square Station, vault a turnstile and two flights down the iron stairs, catch an uptown A train....."

Here is the last couple of sentences:

"Either way is a bad move to The East Wing....If I knew I'd be glad to tell you....

"No good...no bueno....hustling myself...."

"No glot...C'lom Fliday"

Actually, I'm not sure I could explain this novel to a high school English class or anyone else for that matter, but it is brilliant. In fact, you should read it!

 

 

No comments: