Friday, May 2, 2008

Today is World Nude Gardening Day!

On the surface this might seem like a late April Fool's prank, but today is actually the fourth annual World Nude Gardening Day. Hence, my intended coverage of the North Carolina Democratic Primary (Hillary Clinton was at Guilford College in Greensboro today) will have to wait.....I'm sure Michelle Obama will understand.

I must profess that I would not know the first thing about gardening_ clothes or no clothes! Heck, I feel good when I can make it to the local farmer's market which will probably be setting up by the time I finally get to sleep.

And, though my late father Mehmet Gokbudak went to a nude beach when I was a child in what is now Croatia, I have never shed my clothes in public for any reason_ oh wait! Yes, there was that infamous men's bikini contest I entered in Myrtle Beach back in 1993. Thank God, there was no Youtube then!

I found out about World Nude Gardening Day from a weekly e-newsletter for the NPR radio series "Weekend America" which airs nationally tomorrow. (For those in Zonguldak, Turkey, I will provide the link at the end of this entry, so you can listen to the show or segment).

For the segment, Weekend America co-host Bill Radke will talk to organic farmer Jay North in Ojai, Calif., who partakes in planting his radishes in the buff.

The web site promoting this day, which might be very difficult to celebrate in Provo, Utah, encourages this activity in the following way:

"First of all, on May 3, 2008, find an opportunity to get naked and do some gardening. Do so alone, with friends or family, with your gardening club, or with any other group collected for that purpose."

Useful Links:

http://www.weekendamerica.org

http://www.wngd.org (The official World Nude Gardening Day site)

http://gardenclubofnc.org (They are a fully-clothed organization. Hmmmm_The mental image of a nude old man planting squash in Asheville is more than a bit unsettling.)

http://www.botanicgardens.org (Site for the Denver Botanical Gardens, which my sister highly recommends. I believe that even if one goes there tomorrow, they will at least have to wear a pair of boxer shorts and a t-shirt.)

 

 

 

No comments: