Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mother's Day, Eggplants and Hillary Clinton

It has been a while since I developed a blog entry with two things in mind. And, since I am inept when it comes to multi-tasking unlike my like sister Lale who somehow did her chemistry homework while watching Woody Allen movies I had checked out of the local library when we were teenagers, I thought it would be good to at least make an effort to deal with two things at once. Hmmm.....This is NOT going to be easy!

First, the reason for the eggplant photo is simple. After mulling over what to get mom for Mother's Day, I decided that some eggplant jelly I had purchased from Harmony Market, a Turkish grocery store in Cary, NC, would both surprise and (hopefully) delight her. Yes, they have eggplant jelly in Turkey, and it is apparently popular in Japan as well. My mom is not Turkish nor Japanese for that matter (my late father Mehmet Gokbudak is the Turkish parent) so we'll see how this goes.

At least, I know one thing for certain. Mom NEVER reads this blog, so she will not know what I'm getting her! That is, unless my sister who does visit this blog once in a while stumbles upon this info, and tells her.

And, there is also a possibility that I will make some Freudian slip about eggplant jelly when talking to mom on the phone. In fact, that is the more distinct possibility.

 Now, to the other subject. Today is primary voting day in North Carolina. As a life-long Virginian who has only lived in the Tarheel State since 2006, I find it strange to vote for judges. It almost feels like voting for your high school principal.

And, of course, I also voted for a Democratic presidential candidate. There was a part of me that wanted to be rebellious and vote for Mike Gravel, the liberal equivalent of Ron Paul who was on the ballot (even though he has become a Libertarian), but in the end I voted for Hillary Clinton.

I suppose it is fitting that I bring this up along with Mother's Day because on the night of the New Hampshire Primary in January when I happened to be at my mother's house in Virginia, she wanted Hillary to win and I was rooting for Barack Obama. And, on the night, Hillary did indeed edge out Obama. But, as she voted for Obama in the Virginia Primary in February, I opted for the former first lady today.

When friends ask me, I tell them it is because Hillary has the stronger foreign policy credentials, buta part of me wonders if it is like when you are sitting across from your mother at Denny's and she gets the french toast which you were going to get, but when the cute waitress looks in your eyes, you just simply utter the word: 'pancakes.' And, then your mother tells her that you always get french toast. And you respond: "Ah, yes, but this time I want pancakes!"

Useful Links:

http://www.tulumba.com (If you want to get your mom something Turkish for Mother's Day. I'm presuming it will not be eggplant jelly, which is actually quite delicious.)

http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com

 

No comments: