Thursday, May 1, 2008

Quote of the Day- French Filmmaker Jean-Luc Godard

Since today is May 1 or May Day, which is perhaps only celebrated in Cuba, I thought I would post a quote from my favorite left-wing filmmaker, who is not Michael Moore but rather the great French master Jean-Luc Godard.

Godard, who directed the original version of "Breathless," is also a filmmaker who is admired by my friends Bilge Ebiri and Moviezzz. Ebiri said (if memory serves me right) that he had seen all of Godard's films (which is quite a lot) by the time he was 13!

Here is the quote which seems quite appropriate to me as I saw (I don't know if I should admit this) "Superheroes: The Movie" last night, although it was better than I anticipated:

"I pity the French Cinema because it has no money. I pity the American Cinema because it has no ideas."

No comments: