Friday, May 30, 2008

Mini-Novel of the Week: The Great Gatsby

 While I was in Wilmington, NC, two weeks ago, I stumbled upon a nifty used bookstore, which seem to be surprisingly harder to come by these days.

The place was called Old Books on Front Street and sure enough it is located on 22 N. Front St.

I found a copy of the classic 1925 novel "The Great Gatsby," which became a film that starred Robert Redford in 1974. It is of course written by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940). The original painting on the cover (pictured here) was by Francis Cugat.

I saw the exact copy of "The Great Gatsby" minus the coffee stains for $14 at a Barnes and Noble in Roanoke last week. My copy was a mere $3, and I don't have to return it to Williamson Road Library anytime soon.

This is the fourth installment of a series in which I take the first and last sentence from a famous novel.

The first sentence in "The Great Gatsby" reads:

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

It concludes with the following passage 121 pages later:

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Useful Links:

http://www.oldbooksonfrontst.com

Phone: 919-763-4754

Other Books in Series:

"Wild at Heart" by Barry Gifford

"Naked Lunch" by William S. Burroughs

"1984" by George Orwell

No comments: