Sunday, May 11, 2008

For Mother's Day: A Quote from Joan Crawford

Kudos to the Criterion Cinema in New Haven, Conn., for showing the 'classic' 1981 film "Mommie's Dearest" for Mother's Day again this year. The film stars Faye Dunaway as the glamorous '40s film icon Joan Crawford who was apparently not a candidate for Mother of the Year.

To salute mothers around the world, most of whom are hopefully more caring than nurturing than Crawford (as of course- my mom is), we post this quote from someone who shows that none of us should take out mothers for granted (of course it is possible that Crawford was a slightly less deranged figure than the one in Frank Perry's film):

"I never go outside unless I look like Joan Crawford the movie star. If you want to see the girl next door, go next door."

Useful Link:

http://www.joancrawfordbest.com (This is an encyclopedia of all things Crawford. I am curious what it says under 'Mildred Pierce,' my favorite film of her's, but my own 'mommie dearest' is expecting me to come home to Virginia today!)

No comments: