Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Remembering Sydney Pollack (With One of His Quotes)

My good friend Jim, aka Moviezzz, gave a very moving tribute to director/producuer/actor Sydney Pollack (1934-2008) whose death was reported on Monday.

I was privaledged to hear him speak at the 2001 Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesvile. He came there for a special screening of his early film "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969).

Pollack also talked about how he had just gone to the movies at the Regal Cinema in downtown Charlottesville to see David Lynch's 'new film' (at the time) "Mullholland Drive."

He said he no idea what the film was about, but he loved it.

The Oscar-winner for directing "Out of Africa" (1985) had a great way with words, hence I am enclosing one of his quotes for my usual quote of the week:

"But, I've made films in Japan, in Yugoslavia, all over Europe, all over the United States, Mexico, but not Hollywood."

My personal favorite Pollack film was the 1975 thriller "Three Days of the Condor," one of his many films with Robert Redford (it co-starred Faye Dunaway). I also credit (or blame) his 1981 thriller "Absence of Malice" with Paul Newman and Sally Field as being one of the films which made me a film fanatic for life at the tender age of 11.

In all seriousness, he will be greatly missed.

http://www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

(For Jim's blog entry about Pollack)

No comments: