Sunday, May 11, 2008

Final Arts Video Entry- Herbie Hancock's "Rockit"



Whew! I look through about 15 things before deciding the wrap my first (and perhaps last as it was more challenging than I realized!) Video Arts Festival with this video that all of us late30somethings remember watching on MTV circa 1983. Herbie Hancock is a jazz legend, and this radical departure had to startle his loyal fan base considerably.

Other videos that were considered include various mimes, ventriloquists, jugglers as well as Cathead Theatre (too popular), a segment of the play "The Pillowmaker" (too controversial) and an experimental film from Kenneth Anger (too avant garde).

We hope these ten selections were satisfying though. I have yet to watch many of them in their entirety myself!

Enjoy.........

No comments: