Monday, May 26, 2008

For Memorial Day_ Snafu and Daffy Duck



To salute veterans from all wars, regardless of my firm political opposition to Bush's War in Iraq, I am showcasing two World War II cartoons today, which is Memorial Day here in the United States (in case, someone from Copenhagen is looking at the blog today!).
 
The first one is "Booby Traps" featuring Private Snafu. It was made in 1943 under the direction of Bob Clampett, and these cartoons were shown to military personnel only during the war. There is an interesting Hitler cameo in the film. It should be mentioned, that this cartoon is NOT suitable for children.

The second cartoon is "Daffy Commando" (1944).



Unlike Snafu, the cartoon was shown to the general public but it is not shown on television very often now. I think it's fair to say that it simply wouldn't fit in with the other more cheerful Looney Tunes cartoons, like "What's Opera, Doc?"

I would like to dedicate these two cartoons to my late stepfather Donald Sullivan and my late grandfather Dudley C. "Doc" Sturgis. Both of whom served in World War II.

Interestingly enough, my other late grandfather Fuat Gokbudak was a soldier for the Turkish army in World War I. Thankfully, he wasn't asked to go to Gallipoli!

No comments: