Sunday, May 4, 2008

Guiltiest of Guilty Pleasures: MTV's "The Hills"

 

Perhaps, there aren't too many cross-over PBS/MTV viewers like myself, but I just love "The Hills." In fact, when I the stars of the MTV-show on the cover of the current "Rolling Stone," I knew I just had to buy the magazine. And, today (Sunday) I read the whole issue in its entirety, which is perhaps something I haven't done since my senior year in high school back in 1988.

The excellent cover story by Jason Gay touches upon the many reasons why the show, which has been described as a pseudo-reality version of "Beverly Hills 90210," is 'so'  popular, including the excellent camera work, catchy dialogue and most importantly the intense rivalry between Lauren Conrad and Heidi Montag (both of whom are blondes).

Conrad herself summed it up best in the article:

"People love to watch people fight on TV. They want to see guys fight too. The whole pro-wrestling thing.

I just got front-row seats at a (pro-wrestling) match.........It was sooooo fake! I knew it was fake, they're, like, actors up there," Lauren said.

Incidentally, as a Lauren-fan, I'm glad Heidi is the one who endorsed John McCain (I'm voting for Hillary Clinton myself), but another amusing part of Gay's article was the fact that the Arizona senator actually publicly thanked Lauren's rival for her endorsement. In fact, he called her a 'very talented, young actress.'

The two other stars of "The Hills" are Audrina Partridge and Whitney Port.

A new episode airs tonight on MTV.

Useful Links:

http://www.rollingstone.com/thehills

 

 

No comments: