Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Favorite College Gymnasts of the Last Year

In just under an hour, CBS will broadcast the NCAA Women's Gymnastics Championships that took place two weeks ago in Athens, Ga.

I'm sure CBS will spend a lot of time talking about Georgia University coach Suzanne Yoculan, who would make a great antagonist on a reality tv-show, like Donald Trump or the chef from "Hell's Kitchen." And, I mean that as a compliment:)

Here is my list of my 12 favorite gymnasts. Alas, some of them like Ashley Postell of Utah, Tasha Schiwerkt of UCLA and Yuki Lamb of Oregon State are seniors and they will not be competing again, at least on the college level.

But, some of them like Amanda Castillo and Corey Hartung of Florida will be back next year.

1. Ashley Postell- Utah

2. Amanda Castillo- Florida (see earlier entry)

3. Kristina Baskett- Utah

4. Tasha Schwikert- UCLA (pictured below)

5. Katie Heenan- Georgia (see earlier entry)

6. Liz Tricase- Stanford

7. Nina Kim- Utah

8. Corey Hartung- Florida (see image below)

9. Yuki Lamb- Oregon State

10. Courtney McCool- Georgia

11. Sabrina Franceschelli-LSU

12. Leigha Hancock- North Carolina St. (her team did not make the final 12, but she competed in Athens as an individual gymnast).

This is a pure vanity list, and it is not based on any national rankings whatsoever. Having said, someone will probably point to a gymnast or two that I overlooked.

Useful Links:

http://www.collegegymfans.com

PS- Thanks gymnastics fans. This entry got a whopping 240 hits in one day, that's a record for me! Ironically, I missed the meet on tv (though I saw it in Athens) because I thought it aired at 2 p.m., eastern time. It apparently aired at 3 p..m., eastern time. I thought it had been preempted by infommercials, and perhaps it was anyway!

I did see "Speed Racer" though. And, I also saw "Southland Tales" late last night. Both films have Justin Timberlake in them. I was not a fan before, and after these two relatively disappointing movies, I certainly am not now!

The one gymnast that in hind sight should have made my favorite is Kristi Espositoof LSU. She is alas a senior, but I certainly wish her the very best.

No comments: