Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Penn Jillette on Starbucks and Comic Books

Magician/comedian/actor/game show host Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame is almost exactly 15 years older than me (He was born on March 5, 1955, whereas I was born on March 4, 1970).

 But today's entry is one which deals with a nifty quote from him that I found on the back of the 2005 graphic novel "You Deserved It" by Bob Fingerman.

The graphic novel is pretty graphic in terms of violence, (and there are also lots of scantily clad women) but since Jillette is a black humor afficianado (as am I), it is not too surprising that he took a liking to Fingerman's work.

I would also gather from this quote that it is easier to find graphic novels to read at a coffee shop in Las Vegas, where Jillette lives,  than it would be at the Mill Mountain Coffee Shop in Salem, Va:

"Last night I went to Starbucks alone, got my Venti that makes them check all the boxes, sat in a big overstuffed chair of a color that doesn't show blood, and read 'You Deserved It.' It worked-I wanted every woman to have bigger breasts (Jillette did not use the word breasts) and I wanted to rip the arms off every man. It's easy to make me feel that way in Starbucks, but 'You Deserved It' , made me feel it even more."

Useful Links:

http://www.darkhorse.com

http://www.starbucks.com

 

No comments: