Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bugs Bunny for President?

Political analyst Jeff Greenfield recently wrote an article for Slate.com in which he said the presidential candidates who most resemble Bugs Bunny tend to previal while those who have more in common with the hare's main rival Daffy Duck tend to lose.

The good news for Democrats is that Greenfield says that John McCain more closely resembles Bugs Bunny. The bad news is so does (should she prevail) Hillary Clinton. But, Sen. Barack Obama, with his optimistic outlook, is a Bugs.

Greenfield says that Bugs Bunny is a secure, laid back character while Daffy Duck is at war with a hostile world. Daffy likes to fuss, fume and clench his fist to show constant agitation. While Bugs always previals over the likes of Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam.

Hmmmm.......this might also explain why I've had sooooo much trouble with women!

Greenfield said eventual presidents like John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan were the definitive Bugs Bunny models, and hence they were able to defeat the likes of Richard Nixon (1960) and Jimmy Carter (1980) who were Daffy prototypes during those election cycles.

(Ironically, another the Marvel Comic book character Howard the Duck made a run for the presidency for a couple of issues in 1976.)

And, there are candidates who are Bugs on the campaign trail, but they become Daffys once in the Oval Office. Of course, we are talking about George W. Bush!

Useful Links:

http://www.slate.com

http://www.nerve.com/cs/blogs/screengrab/default.aspx (The blog where I originally saw this story)

Footnote: I have finally figured out how to put images on my blog_ yes, I know it's easy for the rest of you! I must give credits to Terry Williams of Danville, Va., for this. He assisted me with many of the images in the other entries. He will be stunned to see what I've learned without him......

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the images. I knew you'd get them without me!

Terry Williams