Monday, March 17, 2008

My Final Four ..........(for all it's worth)

I am hardly Dick Vitale or Billy Packer, but since everyone from Karl Rove to Dennis Kucinich probably fills out an NCAA bracket, I thought I would give my Final Four here.

Since I live in North Carolina, I am sure some folks will not like the fact that I do NOT think the UNC Tarheels will win it all this year, but I think they will advance to the championship game.

I was also disappointed to see Virginia Tech get snubbed, and I loved the way their coach Seth Greenberg said a person would have to be in a looney bind to think the Hokies were not one of the best 65 teams in the country.

Here is my Final Four:

EAST REGION:

UNC

MIDWEST REGION:

Georgetown

SOUTH:

Stanford (surprise!)

WEST:

UCLA

The UCLA Bruins are also my choice to win it all this year over UNC in the NCAA finals in San Antonio. The only person I remotely know who went to UCLA is former Canadian Olympic gymnast Yvonne Tousek, and I remotely know her!

I think my friend Roland Lazenby, who teaches at Virginia Tech and has written extensively about basketball, will probably pick the bracketts better than myself, but unpredictable things do seem to happen in this tournament.

And, the big question is should I pick Winthrop over Washington State in the first round.

My cousin Michael Dawkins of Rock Hill, SC, is a Winthrop alum (the school is also in Rock Hill) and his school has defeated my alma mater Radford University some 157 times in a row (slight exagerration!)......

Mike is also a Clemson fan. They play Villanova in the first round.

The two other NC schools to make the NCAA are Davidson (they will face Gonzaga), and Duke (a #2 seed who will play Belmont).

The lone school from Virginia, my home state, in the tournament is George Mason University out of Fairfax, Va. The Patriots will play Notre Dame, which is the same team Winthrop knocked off last year!

Since we like to make fun of Provo, Utah, here, I should add that Brigham Young University also made the tourney. They are an 8-seed who will play Texas A&M in the first round. We know who Mitt Romney will be rooting for! The winner faces UCLA in the next round.........

Useful Links:

http://www.ncaa.org

 

 

No comments: