Saturday, March 8, 2008

Coming Attractions to This Blog

A majority of the entries on this blog are spur of the moment things, such as the last entry on Chris Knight's campaign to have people boycott the upcoming presidential election, but there are always long-term things that I am looking out for.

As is the case when you see a trailer before a film is about to begin, I can not guarantee that all these will show up on this blog, but it is my intent to get them on here within the next 2-3 months (a lot of things tend to come up).

Here are a dozen things you can look for in the next few weeks:

Politics

1. Continuing campaign coverage_ Wyoming today. Mississippi next week. Pennsylvania and my state of North Carolina_ as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama continue to go at it, I will try cover as much terrain as possible. My emphasis is not on the big stories, but how voters are making their choices, and the factors that determine each person's decision.

2. Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R-NC)_ I am opposed to her reelection bid this November, and it goes beyond mere partisan politics. Expect to see more on this here.

Other possibilities include an entry on how John McCain allegedly came close to becoming a Democrat early into George W. Bush's first term.

Culture

1. I saw a fascinating documentary on the Sundance Channel last week entitled "638 Ways to Kill Castro"- The English film gave an amazing insight into both the radical elements of the Cuban-American community in Miami as well as our government's sometimes over-the-top ways of trying to deal with Fidel. It definitely merits a blog entry.

2. One of my favorite playwrights is the recently deceased African-American playwright August Wilson. The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, is currently holding a retrospective on his plays. Other theatrical entries I intend to post include plays in my hometown of Roanoke,Va., as well as Greensboro, Salt Lake City and Philadelphia.

All Things Turkey

As many of you know, I like to cover things that are going on in Turkey or the Turkish community in America. This is one area which I feel I often neglect, as I am a bit out of the loop due to the fact that I live in a small area which has fewer Turkish-Americans than a place like Passaic, NJ, or Fairfax, Va.
Recently, these issues have become more contested as an Armenian Genocide Bill came up in Congress. Like most Turkish-Americans, as much as I respect the Armenian community, I fear the measure would do catastrophic damage to US-Turkish relations.
And, there is also the matter of Turkey's incursion into northern Iraq to stop PKK terrorists.

1. A Turkish studies program at Yerevan State University in Armenia_of all places.

2. A Turkish-American female wrestler????_ Yes, there is such a person!

Sports

1. I shall be blogging about the NCAA men's basketball tournament. It will be interesting to see how ACC teams fare this year.

2. Women's gymnastics-I am looking to post entries about the University of Rhode Island and a gymnast from Roanoke who competes for Illinois State University.

Other Wastes of Time

1. This could have gone under politics, but there is speculation that many famous cartoon characters actually resemble candidates running for office.

2. A strange anti-Hillary letter that was published in The Roanoke Times, which essentially says that she is not God's choice (I guess some endorsements matter!)

3.Fundies say the darndest things- A religious fundamentalists posted one of the most over-the-top homophobic statements I've ever heard....now, if I can only find that site on the net again! This one talks about the need to slaughter all 'gay animals.'

4. A poem I wrote should be posted here in the coming days. I am not exactly Langston Hughes!

I also intend to add videos, comic strips and perhaps even a recipe or two.

If you have any interesting ideas for this blog, please email them to me at tango74@aol.com

No comments: