Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Where to go if Palin Becomes Prez?....New Zealand?!

A few days ago I saw Bill Maher steal my idea and talk about countries that a person could move to if John McCain became president. His choice was Finland, which is unfortunately going through a national tragedy as there was a school shooting there yesterday.
 My mom  has thought about this as well, and she is threatening to move to  New  Zealand if  McCain, who  suspended  his campaign  today, became prez. I will join her  there if  he should die  in his office because that would mean (oh no!!!!) Sarah Palin would  come into power.


(Pictured here: Porirua, New Zealand.)

Mom went to New Zealand a few years ago, and she really liked it a lot.

It is half-a-world away, but I could see my friend Sui Knowles, who lives in the capital of Wellington. We met each other through postcard-collecting, and as you might expect, I have never met her in person. This would be my chance.

Here is a slick tourism ad for New Zealand, which consists of a song by Neil Finn, who was the lead singer of Crowded House and Split Enz. It shows just how nice New Zealand is.

(Video: The hit song "I Got You" by Split Enz)

I must say the long flight might not make this my top choice for 'political asylum,' but I think I could find a way to substitute Friday Night high school football for a rugby game, if it came to that.

On another note, my friend Moviezzz has two great entries on his blog. One pertains to a new book about Puritans by Sarah Vowell who made it big on NPR's "This American Life." The other features a very cool Depeche Mode video. We kid you not!

Useful Links:

http://www.newzealand.com

http://talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

http://www.thislife.org


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, NZ is among my favorite unvisited countries, lol! I read a lot of nice things about the place, and even have considered relocating there, as their housing costs are significantly lower than those of America's pricier burgs, and they're actually seeking U.S. immigrants! I had some fun with a Wellington-expatriate I met back in the early 90s who had moved to the L.A. area. There's a book written by an American writer - Jeffrey Masson - that's basically a love letter to that island nation. Yes, I recall Split Enz and their later 'spinoff' Crowded House quite fondly. In fact, check out CH's self-titled debut from 1986, if you haven't already. The Kiwis - NZ-born citizens - have a few good flicks also: BROKEN ENGLISH, ONCE WERE WARRIORS, THE PIANO; haven't seen WHALE RIDER. And don't forget Sam Neill, who's played so many differing nationalities that you may be unaware that he's a Kiwi, born and bred.