Friday, September 26, 2008

Images of Virginia (3 of 10) Humpback Bridge in Covington



The Humpback Bridge near Covington, Va., was a place that I took many pictures of while I was taking a photography class at Virginia Western Community College in Roanoke a few years ago (this is not my photo, though I wish it was!).
The historic bridge was built in 1857, and it runs over Dunlap Creek. It was built higher in the middle than at its other end, hence it's name Humpback Bridge.

(This is a different view of the same bridge)

The bridge was used from 1857 to 1929 before it was retired. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.

Another one of my favorite covered  bridges  in Virginia  is the  Meems Bottom Bridge  (pictured below) in  the town of  Mount  Jackson, Va., which is  some  90  miles north of Covington in Shenandoah  County. It is  another  place  I've  taken many photos of.  It is also very close to the Johnny Appleseed Restaurant in  New Market, which was the subject of  the previous  entry  in  this series.

1 comment:

Unicolo said...

Thanks for sharing such a amzing information of that topic.It is very useful.
Khami Ruins