Sunday, September 14, 2008

Can We Still Be Friends?

(CAPTION: We played Connect Four until dawn. I think I won more of the games between us, but I will need to get verification of that from a member of my staff. McCain only tipped the table over once. But, in all honesty, I fully sympathize because without knowing it, I had skipped a turn.)

According to "The New Republic," John Kerry and John McCain went from being political rivals to the best of friends. Alas, politics reared its ugly head. The falling out allegedly transpired during the 2004 election when Kerry's private discussion with McCain about whether he would agree to be his running mate became public.

Nevertheless, there are moments like these to remind us that even as our nation becomes more divided than Cyprus*, there is still a glimmer of hope that there can be bipartisanship in Washington, DC,_ like when it comes time to carpool back to Alexandria (Va.)!

*- Forgive the ethnic humor, especially if you are a Greek-American. I am half-Turkish. Turkey and Greece fought a brief, but bloody war over Cyprus in 1974. The island nation remains divided to this day. I went to the Turkish side in 1991. At least, there has not been another war between the two countries since then. In fact, at last report, Athens and Ankara were actually getting along. Let's just hope they don't meet in the next World Cup!

PS_Feel free to leave your own caption to this photo in the comments section.

Useful Links:

http://www.tnr.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com

 

No comments: