Saturday, September 27, 2008

Remembering Paul Newman with a Quote

The sad news today is that legendary actor Paul Newman who finally won an Oscar for his performance in "The Color of Money" some 20 years ago died at the age of 83. His performance in "Absence of Malice" (1981) generated my interest in film at a very early age. Among the other films of his that I adore are "Cool Hand Luke," "Slap Shot," "The Verdict" and (of course) "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." He is pictured here with Robert Redford in "The Sting."

Here is Newman, who is also this week's Quote of the Week:

"The embarrassing thing is that the salad dressing is outgrossing my films."

Newman is the first person that we have used twice for our quote of the week. And, I'm sure even though he is no longer with us, we will use one of his quips again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My father took my brothers and I to see THE STING when I was six. To this day, I've no idea why. Sad to say I've seen so little of his work, but it's all there on home video. I do love MR AND MRS BRIDGE, and THE ROAD TO PERDITION is another favorite, although I don't recall Newman having much screen time in the latter. He did say a few years back that retirement was on his radar, and I felt that "Road" was a pretty good choice to bow out with. He only did voice work and TV productions after that picture.