Monday, September 22, 2008

Nostalgia Monday_ The Waltons?!

I was originally going to post an entry about Tone Loc, a rapper of sorts who hit in big with two songs in the late 1980s. We'll try to get back to him at some other juncture. But, for right now, I'm borrowing a title from Sarah Palin's Netflix que and going with "The Waltons."

The hit series took place on Waltons Mountain which is near Charlottesville, Va., and it ran from 1972-81.

The show took place during the Depression and then through World War II.

John and Olivia had eight kids (hey, no birth control in those days!) including three girls and five boys, one of which died at childbirth.

"The Waltons Easter," a special reunion show, aired in 1997.

Actor Richard Thomas played John Boy and he won an Emmy for his role in 1973. My friend Greg Wood also played John Boy in a stage play based on the same story as "The Waltons," at a theatre close to Charlottesville.

Thomas is now set to play playwright Tennessee Williams in a one-man show entitled "Blanche and Beyond" at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, from Sept. 24-26.

The 57-year-old actor who is on his second marriage has five kids of his own, including a set of triplets.

He is also the national chair of The Better Hearing Institute and he is voice of Mercedes-Benz. In recent years, he has performed more stage work including a series of plays at a theatre in Hartford, Conn.

I saw an excellent stage production of Williams' play "Night of the Iguana," which is also the subject of a recent "Oxford American" issue, at the Triad Stage in Greensboro, NC, last weekend.

Regrettably, I did not get a chance to post an entry about that production, but their next performance is of the charming play "Bell, Book and Candle," which was made into a movie with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak (many years ago). That production begins on Oct. 19.

My good friend and fellow Obama supporter (apologies to my many conservative friends, but this is an election year folks) Moviezzz has a great entry about last night's Emmys broadcast. I was busy watching a rebroadcast of "Real Time with Bill Maher"
on HBO, but I was delighted to hear that Sarah Palin look-alike Tina Fey win an Emmy for "30 Rock."

Though, since Fey and I are the same age (38) and I just had my 20th high school reunion, I have to wish I had dated a girl just like her in high school. Perhaps, I overlooked someone or conversely perhaps they overlooked moi!

For those in the D.C. area, tickets for "Blanche..." are $45, and one can call 202-416-8524 for tickets.

Useful Links:

http://kennedy-cetner.org

http://www.triadstage.com

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/waltons.html

http://talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waltons Mountain is a real place? Hmm! I was just thinking about Richard Thomas today after seeing James Dean two nights ago in the Warner Brothers doc on PBS. Thomas starred in SEPTEMBER 30, 1955, about a group of small town teens who are deeply affected by Dean's untimely death. I believe it was the debut film for the late James Bridges. Thomas also appeared - with Barbara Hershey and Bruce Davison - in 1969's creepy LAST SUMMER, based on a disturbing novel by Evan Hunter.

Unicolo said...

"Thanks for sharing such a amzing information of that topic.It is very useful.
Khami Ruins"