Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Guess My 5,000th Film.........

 As of tonight, I have voted on 5,000 films on the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com).

The scary thing is that I have indeed seen MOST of these films. There are some exceptions like "Drop Dead Gorgeous," which I thought I had seen only to realize after giving it a six (out of ten) that I hadn't. (Actually, maybe I did see that film on an airplane, but anyway........).

My 5,000th film is not some bad Turkish action film from the seventies with Cuneyt Arkin like "Once Vatan/ Country First" (seen about 20 of those), it is rather a strange film in its own right from the pride of Winnipeg, Canada that is Guy Maddin (pictured above) aka The Canadian David Lynch.

I will give you the blog reader a chance to guess which Maddin film, it is (hint: It takes place around a hockey rink though this films is hardly "Slap Shot." Yes, I've seen that too).

Is the film that I watched for my 5,000 entry on the IMDB:

A) "Twilight of the Ice Nymphs"

B) "Brand Upon the Brain!"

C) "Cowards Bend the Knees"

D) "My Winnipeg"

E) "The Saddest Music in the World"

All these are actual Guy Maddin film titles.

Alas, we have no prizes to give here at Politics, Culture and Other Wastes of Time, but I could always send you this empty Perrier bottle which is sitting beside my computer. And, if you are curious to know my vote on a particular film, I'll be happy to share it with you_ or look it up.

Incidentally, I gave this mystery film a seven.

http://www.guymaddin.net

http://www.slap_shot.com

http://www.scottyhockey.blogspot.com

PS_In all actuality, I believe I've seen considerably more than 5,000 films but it is hard to recall every title of every film you've ever seen. The first film I voted on in the IMDB back in 2002 was a strange mystery film from vintage bad filmmaker Jess Franco entitled "Venus in Furs" (1970). It starred Klaus Kinski and was filmed in Turkey and Brazil. I don't recommend it, but it would make for a fantastic guilty pleasure.

HINT_ The mystery film came out in 2003.

UPDATE: The answer is (C) Coward Bends the Knees. No one bothered to guess, so maybe next time, I'll have to promise a free Ben and Jerry's pint in the mail.

No comments: