Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mississippi Blues Videofest

Since the 'big debate' is scheduled for tonight from Oxford, Miss., supposing that John McCain decides to show up, I thought I would post a nonpartisan entry (well, as close to it as it can be these days!) devoted to the Mississippi blues.
The blues man I am most familiar with is Lightnin' Hopkins, and that is thanks to my friend Les Blank's 1969 documentary about him. The problem is that Hopkins is from Texas!
But, we have three videos here. The first is from Fred McDowell, and it is from another 1969 documentary film whose title I forgot to write down!:



The second video is "Candy Man Blues" from John Hurt (yes, the same name as the actor who was in "Alien!'). This footage is from the famed jazz festival in Newport, RI. It features a cameo from a 'very familiar face' at the end:


And, we conclude with Booker White..........:


I don't know if this makes up for the fact that I decided to concentrate on my 20th year high school reunion in Roanoke, Va., instead of attending the blues festival which was also in The Star City, last weekend.

But, even for our GOP friends (I hear Dick Cheney loves this blog!) these videos should be more enjoyable than a Fox News post-game show with Sean Hannity.

I had the chance to see B.B. King perform live recently, and I hope to see another blues concert somewhere down the line.............just don't expect me to perform any back flips like John Belushi!

Useful Links:

http://bluesbelt.blogspot.com

http://www.lesblank.com

A variety of Les Blank's films will be at the Film Forum in New York from Nov. 14-20

http://www.filmforum.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen B.B. live, but I did enjoy his appearance in U2's RATTLE & HUM, both the film and album. Christ, was that 20 years ago?!!