Thursday, September 11, 2008

Guess Whose Working on a Memoir?

 Yes, there are actually things I try to do away from this blog. Though I genuinely appreciate the fact that friends of mine like Jeremy Orhan Simer from Santa Barbara, Calif., wonder about me!

I have actually been through a fairly challenging year for all sorts of reasons, including my bout with a very painful medical problem that never seems to go away, but things are beginning to look up. I might even be able to somehow accept a John McCain victory in November. If not, I may have to back my bags and join my mom who has vowed to move to New Zealand!

In all seriousness, regardless of our political persuasions (hey there have been recent times when I've been fed up with the Democratic Party too), each of us has greater struggles that we deal with on a day-to-day basis. One of my fiercest demons has been depression.

It has been something that I've dealt with since my teenage years when my father unexpectedly died of a heart attack.

I am a bit hesitant about sharing this passage from the rough draft of my memoir-in-progress, but I hope somehow it comes across to someone who might be suffering through a similar difficulty.

And, if you read closely, you'll see why I posted a Superman pizza boy with this entry.

"Depression is an odd disease in that one can feel seemingly happy one moment and then suddenly one minor detail, like an attractive woman holding hands with some guy who looks like a pizza delivery boy, can set the mind back considerably.

 (Pictured: Miss Universe 2004 Jennifer Hawkins. Can you imagine her with a pizza boy?)

It is for this reason why I hesitate to say that I am fully cured from this surreal, yet quite common form of mental illness even though, through various forms of treatment, I have been able to hold it at bay for over a decade."

I will keep anyone who might be interested posted on my progress with this project. I have written two chapters so far.

On a separate note, I am AMAZED that "Mama Mia!" is still playing at the Grandin Theatre in Roanoke, Va. The film opened when I was in Turkey in July. There is also a sing-a-long version playing at the Carousel Theatre in Greensboro, NC. Is there no refuge?

Useful Links:

http://www.depression.com

http://www.jeremyos.blogpost.com

http://www.grandintheatre.com

 

No comments: