Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Limits of America's Global Pop Culture Influence

I just recieved a Facebook message from a friend of mine named Mehmet in Ankara, Turkey.

He shocked me when he revealed that he did not know who actress Uma Thurman ("Pulp Fiction," "Prime") was! I was wondering how could anyone not know who one of the most gorgeous women in the world was........I am still thinking that maybe Mehmet was pulling my leg.

Then, it dawned on me that very Americans have heard of Turkish international pop phenom Tarkan, who is even (supposedly) popular in Yerevan, Armenia!

I suppose one day our global impact on pop culture could be considerably nulified, and perhaps that is already happening!

It is after all our pop culture which has sustained our country's global influence around the world, even at times when our government was not popular (as it is now under the dubious leadership of George W. Bush).

Amazingly enough, our pop culture has even been cited by our deepest enemies. I read a magazine article in which Osama had apparently said that "Bonanza" was his favorite tv show. To this day, I find that revealation highly disturbing.

No comments: