Saturday, October 20, 2007

How I Almost Went 48 Hours Without the Net.....

I have come to the 350th entry of my blog, which was actually becoming hip and popular...........sort of like my own life story! But, things have slowed down a tad, though I suspect AOL probably had it down for some tech glitch.

But, I am reminded of how great it is to have good friends. Blogger/filmmaker/commercial artist Christopher Knight of Reidsville, NC, mentioned on his blog "The Knight Shift" yesterday. Knight's blog is quit entertaining as he is taking on Ron Price, a Rockingham County (NC) school board member who is trying to make the kids wear school uniforms. It should be mentioned that Price is an arch-right winger who was caught stealing campaign signs for incumbent Cong. Brad Miller (D_NC).

It should be mentioned that I have a slight bias here, though I still think Price is basically the hideous alien form that Knight has portrayed him as in his blog. I just wrote a letter to the editor of "The (Greensboro) News-Record" praising Miller for voting against HR 186 in committee. HR 186, for those of you who are not Armenian or Turkish-Americans (I am the later), is a highly subjective, one-sided piece of legislation that would formally recognize the Armenian Controversy, and strain diplomatic relations between the USA and Turkey. But, I think Price is still an awful human being:) And, I can't thank Knight enough for slamming him.




But, in spite of such pleasures as the blogs of my friends, like Knight , fellow progressive Turkish-American Cenk Uygur, and Moviezzz of Springfield, Mass., Wikipedia, Facebook (see earlier entry), Netflix, email (I have 4 accounts!), The Internet Movie Database, Youtube, The Daily Kos, Politico.com, The BCC web site (for news) and The Owl at the Purdue University (for work- a great site for teachers!)
, I decided I needed a rest from all things cyberspace.

My initial goal was to go a whole week without the net!

I came to my senses, and decided to 48 hours instead. And, I almost made it. I went 44 hours and 44 minutes without logging on. In this time, I swam 20 laps at the YMCA pool, saw "Clerks 2" and "Hot Fuzz," read "The Washington Post" (print version!) and even wrote a poem, which I performed last night at No Shame Theatre in Roanoke, Va.

But, I then called my friend Blake Lipscomb who I really needed to talk to. His linewas busy, and that meant he was on the internet. I also realized there were many things I needed to look at on the net for both professional and personal reasons.

So, here I am, back again............I see a sign-post up ahead!


Useful links:

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com

http://www.millmountain.org/

(For No Shame Theatre)

No comments: