Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Backyard Getaways-The Old Guilford Mill

Whew! I don't know about you_loyal reader of this blog_ but I have had one very, very long day. In fact, I think I've just worked 16 hours and I'm out of milk! I can't have that late night bowl of Captain Crunch that my good friend, who is a nutrionist, tells me to avoid.

It is at times like these when we think about the good things in life, and the ways in which we might find it in ourselves to possibly enjoy them again.

One such place which brings out this euphoria in my region of the country is the Old Guilford Mill, located just outside Greensboro in Oak Ridge, NC, on Route 68.

The mill was built in 1767, and it remains fully operational to this day. According to the mill's web site, the site continues to produce all-natural, stove-ground, whole grain foods.

The last time I was there I ran into some Pakistani men from High Point who were exchanging recipes in Urdu_now that was something!

My friend William Mankins of Meadows of Dan, Va., has 1000s of postcards of such places_ mills, covered bridges, and even factories in places like Danville, Va., which have since relocated to Honduras.

 Among his fellow  postcard dealers and us postcard collectors (though at the moment, I am semi-retired from the hobby_ blame it on the price of gas!), he is highly respected. I even once found a postcard with Huckleberry Hound and other '60s cartoon characters on it through him! He can be reached through email at wmankins@swva.net

For gorgeous photos by Ruth Anne and Wayne Lee of the Old Guilford Mill, as well as more in-depth history of this water-powered 18th century grist mill, you can go to their web site at:

http://www.oldmillofguilford.com

The mill is located at:

1340 NC 68 N

Oak Ridge, NC 27310

Phone: 336-643-4783.

 

 

 

No comments: